Life Style Lift

This Blog is dedicated to my goal to change my life. In this blog you will read of my trials, triumphs and tests into improving the quality of my life and that of my family's life. It will start out with basic things, things I have influence over and will move on to more intricate changes. This blog will read like a diary, one of my goals is to update it daily, noting a small change I have made or maintained during that day.

From food to fitness, spending money to saving money, setting goals and achieving goals, and everything in between. Stay tuned to see how my Lifestyle Lift pays off!!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Working out Outside

I am so HAPPY summer is finally starting to come into existence.  It has been a long, uncomfortable winter, way to cold for this Cali girl.  (I know I grew up in the prairies but I am sure my being born in Cali has made it so I do not acclimate very well to these horribly cold winters)

Two nights ago, Mr. A and I went to the steam baths for a relaxing evening. It was something we hadn't done in a long time. Before going there though I was determined to get a run in, as I have made a resolution to be active everyday that I don't go to the gym. I am trying to get some extra cardio in so I can lose more fat weight, and not gain so much more lean muscle mass.  So out for a run I went around my neighbourhood.  It took me 30 minutes and I ran 3.04km.  Which I feel isn't bad for the first run of the season.  After getting home and changing it was off to an evening of relaxing.  It was a great steam, well except where they turned the lights out on us in the steam room.  That was a little frightening.

Then yesterday, Trevor decided to provided us with our first outside workout.  It was not as bad as I thought it would be.  We had to do 15 push ups, then lunges across a field, 15 overhead squats with a medicine ball, then lunges again, 15 medicine ball slams, then lunges again.  When these were complete we went for a .60km run.  I was able to complete this 3 times.  So my next goal will to be complete this 5 times.  It was nice out last night, not to hot just the perfect temperature for making the blood pump outside.  The only issue with working out outside are those pesky mosquitoes.  Man I wish they would spray for them, they are a complete pain, everywhere. 

The other wonderful thing that the city of Red Deer has funded are outdoor gyms.  Throughout the city there are multiple locations where these gyms can be located.  They are a resistance training gyms that use your own body weight and they are set up as a circuit gym.  If you can't afford gym equipment in the summer all you have to do is take a jog to the nearest outdoor gym area and you can workout until your heart's content.
So if your city is like mine find these gyms, and if not proposition your city council to help make your city a healthier city by installing these gyms!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment